Wednesday, February 14, 2007

A little History

Craig and I began our adoption journey a few years ago. We heard about Children’s Bridge through a friend of my moms. We checked their website www.childrensbridge.com and went to an information session. We immediately knew we wanted to adopt from Thailand. I can’t even explain why we felt so strongly that this was the right thing for us, it’s just a feeling I guess.

We got a social worker and began the home study process. Our plans were abruptly put on hold however when the Tsunami hit. Thailand closed their adoption program completely as all their resources understandably had to be devoted to the recovery. We waited and luckily within a few months the program reopened. We quickly finished all the work of putting a dossier together. We had great help and support from our family, friends, Social worker and Children’s Bridge. Soon everything was ready to send.

Then we waited. I will admit the long wait for a referral was starting to take it’s toll. Unfortunately adopting internationally can be a long process. Then a couple weeks ago I was in Montreal for a couple days for work. I flew home and was grumpy and exhausted. Craig picked me up from the airport and I was ready for bed. There was a message on the answering machine from the adoption agency to check our email. There it was a referral for a little girl… I have a daughter. Ganya is her name. There was some medical and social history and pictures.

You have to send a formal acceptance of the offer of a Child to Bangkok which we did right away. Once that is processed we will be able to receive updates from her foster family. I can’t wait.

PS Here is a website I have been using to try to help with my Thai http://www.learningthai.com/greetings.html

No comments: